Book Review: T4 by Ann Clare LeZotte

Bonjour! So today we have another "snow" day (in quotation marks because it's actually raining and making things slippery) so I thought I'd review a book read a few days ago. Sorry it's gonna be a short one, it was a short book!
~July

TITLE: T4

AUTHOR: Ann Clare LeZotte

GENRE: historical fiction

SYNOPSIS: 
It's 1939, and in a little house in Germany, on a street lined with poplar trees, Paula Becker and her family have come to accept that she is deaf. Paula communicates with her own creative hand signs. She helps her mother cook and watches over her younger sister. At church, the organ's hum shakes her whole body and soul. At home, she awaits the tapping paw of her dog's touch. 
But it is the onset of World War II, and Adolf Hitler's Tiergartenstrasse, or T4, is the headquarters where the Nazi regime maintains strict orders to kill any mentally ill or disabled people. At 13, in fear for her life, Paula must leave home and go into hiding. Written in free verse, T4 exposes the darkness of its time while capturing the wonder and hope of one girl's survival.

GOOD STUFF: I didn't even know about this part in WWII so it raised my awareness on that, it was a well written story, I wasn't bored (I sometimes am with historical fiction), it was a different kind of read for me which broadens the horizon on writing styles

BAD STUFF: Not much, but I didn't like that it was written in free verse (as in poetry). I could get over it, but poems just aren't my style, however it is good for me to read a bit out of my comfort zone every once and a while! Some of the format didn't make sense to me, like she would start a thought and not even finish the sentence but then finish it in the next paragraph. Maybe that's legal in poetry, I don't know.

COMMENTS: A very quick read (I read it in under a half hour), but worth it, very informative

RATING: 4.6 hearing-aids out of 5

RECOMMENDED READERS: I would say anywhere from 4th grade to beyond

Comments

  1. Ooo this sounds good! Definitely will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good book! In school we had to choose a book between four books. I chose the Diary of Ann Frank:) I would love it if you checked out my blog... i don't have that many followers and would like to get more:-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read that book, but when I was in 2nd grade, I picked up a version for younger kids. I was really scared after reading it, but know I really love to read about the holocaust. Sure! I'll definitely check it out :)

      Delete
  3. I read a younger version in the second grade too! It is definitely freaky and I had nightmares for about a week! Some other books about the holocaust you might like are milkweed and the boy with the striped pajamas! Thanks for the follow:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check out Milkweed sometime! I think I may have heard of it....
      I've seen the Boy in Striped PJ's movie before and we're reading that for school this year, so I'll wait for that. But thanks so much!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello there! Thanks for commenting! I love hearing from y'all and having good discussions as long as they're kept respectful. Thanks again for dropping by my little corner of the blogosphere. I'd really appreciate if you could give me a follow as well *hint, hint* Happy blogging!

Popular Posts